Elaine L. Fitch
Before moving to DC in 2000, Ms. Fitch handled civil rights and criminal defense litigation in San Francisco, and was a Panel Attorney for the Sixth District Appellate Project and the Central California Appellate Program.
Ms. Fitch has been rated an AV Preeminent attorney by her peers. In 2013, she was selected as a Washington, DC Super Lawyer. In addition, Ms. Fitch was elected a member of The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, an honorary organization of attorneys, judges, law faculty, and legal scholars, who have demonstrated outstanding achievements and dedication to the welfare of their communities and to the highest principles of the legal profession. Membership in The Fellows is limited to one third of one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction.
Ms. Fitch is on the Board of the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia, and she previously served as a co-chair for the WBA’s Solo and Small Practice Forum. Since 2010, Ms. Fitch has been a member of the steering committee for the D.C. Bar’s Law Practice Management Section. She is also a Board member of the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association.
Ms. Fitch is a member of the California and District of Columbia bars. In addition, Ms. Fitch is admitted to practice before the following courts: U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. Court of Federal Claims; U.S. District Court, District of Columbia; U.S. District Court, Northern District of California; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California; U.S. District Court, Central District of California.
Ms. Fitch's practice areas include Disability issues; Employment Law; Discrimination and Harassment; Federal Sector; Severance Agreements; Employment Contracts; and Internal Investigations.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Civil Rights
- Disability Retirement
- Women's Rights
- Civil Service
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1996
- Honors: Hasting Public Interest Law Foundation, Board Member
- Honors: George R. Moscone Scholarship
- Law Journal: Hasting Women's Law Journal, Executive Articles Editor
- University of California at Berkeley
- B.S. - 1989
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Washington Council of Lawyers, Board Member
- Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, Board Member
- Women's Bar Association, District of Columbia, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Gebhardt & Associates, Associate
- Sixth District Appellate Project, Panel Attorney
- Central California Appellate Program, Panel Attorney
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, D.C. Employment Justice Center's Weekly Worker's Right's Clinic