E-mail MeElaine L. Fitch
ELAINE FITCH joined KCNF in 2002 and became a partner in January 2006. Ms. Fitch received her education at the University of California at Berkeley (B.S., 1989) and Hastings College of the Law, University of California (J.D. 1996), where she was Executive Articles Editor for the Hastings Women's Law Journal, was a Board Member for the Hastings Public Interest Law Foundation, received recognition for Outstanding Service and Achievement from the 1066 Foundation, and was awarded the George R. Moscone Scholarship based on academic standing and public service.
Before moving to DC in 2000, Ms. Fitch handled civil rights and criminal defense litigation in San Francisco, and was a Panel Attorney for the Sixth District Appellate Project and the Central California Appellate Program.
Ms. Fitch has been rated an AV Preeminent attorney by her peers. In 2013, she was selected as a Washington, DC Super Lawyer and one of the District’s "Top Lawyers," in the Employment area. In addition, Ms. Fitch was elected a member of The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, an honorary organization of attorneys, judges, law faculty, and legal scholars, who have demonstrated outstanding achievements and dedication to the welfare of their communities and to the highest principles of the legal profession. Membership in The Fellows is limited to one third of one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction.
Ms. Fitch is on the Board of the Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia, and she previously served as a co-chair for the WBA’s Solo and Small Practice Forum. Ms. Fitch was a member of the steering committee for the D.C. Bar’s Law Practice Management Section from 2011-14, she served as the Co-Chair of the Law Practice Management Section steering committee from 2013-14, and she served on the D.C. Bar's Sections Finance Committee from 2013-14. She was also a Board member of the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association for many years.
Ms. Fitch is a member of the California and District of Columbia bars. In addition, Ms. Fitch is admitted to practice before the following courts: U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. Court of Federal Claims; U.S. District Court, District of Columbia; U.S. District Court, Northern District of California; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California; U.S. District Court, Central District of California.
Ms. Fitch's practice areas include Disability issues; Employment Law; Discrimination and Harassment; Federal Sector; Severance Agreements; Employment Contracts; and Internal Investigations.
Areas of Practice
- Security Clearance
- Suitability Determinations
- Employment Law
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Civil Rights
- Disability Retirement
- Women's Rights
- Civil Service
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1996
- Honors: Hasting Public Interest Law Foundation, Board Member
- Honors: George R. Moscone Scholarship
- Law Journal: Hasting Women's Law Journal, Executive Articles Editor
- University of California at Berkeley
- B.S. - 1989
- Security Clearance Law and Procedure , Dewey Publications Inc., 3rd Ed., 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Women's Bar Association, District of Columbia, Board Member
- Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association
- American Bar Association
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
Past Employment Positions
- Gebhardt & Associates, Associate
- Sixth District Appellate Project, Panel Attorney
- Central California Appellate Program, Panel Attorney
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, D.C. Employment Justice Center's Weekly Worker's Right's Clinic