The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) protects people who serve in the Armed Forces (Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), Reserves or National Guard from discrimination by employers. If you suffered job loss or discrimination because of your service in the Armed Forces, you need the help of an experienced employment lawyer.
At Kalijarvi, Chuzi, Newman & Fitch, P.C., we have helped thousands of people fight workplace discrimination. We work with federal and private sector employees worldwide. Call our D.C. office at 202.331.9260 for an appointment.
Washington D.C. USERRA Attorney
People who serve or have served in the Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard are protected from job loss by USERRA. The law states that service members:
- Shall not be disadvantaged in their civilian careers due to their service
- Shall be promptly re-employed in their civilian jobs when they return from duty
- Shall accumulate seniority, including pension plan benefits
- Shall have health insurance reinstated
- Must be allowed job training or retraining, as well as accommodations for disabilities
- Shall not suffer discrimination in the workplace because of past, present or future military service
USERRA applies to all public and private employers, including federal, state and local governments.
What Do You Do if Your Employer Doesn't Follow the Law?
You may be appointed a local Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) ombudsman to help you resolve the dispute with your employer using mediation. Your ombudsman will notify you and your employer if an agreement cannot be worked out. Then you may file a case with the US Department of Labor/Veterans' Employment and Training Service or hire an attorney.
Hiring an employment lawyer can help you through the process of filing a case against your employer. We know how to gather the information you need to structure a strong case. We will be your advocate whether you are an active duty service member or seeking veterans' rights.
Call us at 202.331.9260 or send us an e-mail to make an appointment.