You've Been Discriminated Against at Work. What Do You Do Now?

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is a government agency that enforces anti-discrimination laws as they apply to employment practices. Hiring an experienced attorney and filing a complaint are the first steps in fighting any employment discrimination issues.

EOC Representation - Race, Ethnicity, National Origin and Religion Cases

For experienced legal help, call the lawyers at Kalijarvi, Chuzi, Newman & Fitch, P.C., at 202.331.9260. Our office is located in Washington, D.C. We help clients from the D.C. area and across the nation.

Workplace Discrimination Is Illegal

Federal law prohibits discrimination in the employment process on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, age (40 or older), genetic information or disability.

Private sector employees have essentially the same protections as federal employees. However, the complaint processes are different:

Private Sector Employees

You must file a Charge of Discrimination with the EEOC before you can sue your employer for discrimination. Private sector employees have 180 calendar days to file. This deadline is increased to 300 calendar days if a state or local agency also enforces a state or local employment discrimination law (except for age discrimination charges).

Mediation may be the next step, but if it does not solve the issue, an investigation will be ordered. If the EEOC finds that your employer violated the law, they will try to settle with the employer. If settling does not work, you will be allowed to sue. If no violation is found, you will be given a Notice of Right to Sue.

Federal Employees

Your first step is to contact an EEO counselor at the federal agency where you are employed. For most federal agencies, the complaint must be filed within 45 days of the date the discrimination occurred. You can choose either counseling or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) if the agency provides ADR. Generally, you must complete counseling within 30 days and ADR within 90 days. When counseling is completed, or if ADR is unsuccessful, you may then file a formal complaint with the agency.

Also, many federal contractors are regarded as "federal employees" for EEOC purposes and may be subject to federal sector deadlines. If you are a federal contractor, contact us immediately to determine your deadline.

Washington D.C. EEOC Attorney

Filing complaints with the EEOC and suing your employer are complicated processes. You need an experienced attorney on your side. Call 202.331.9260 or send us an e-mail today.